24 February 2006

A Distinguished Guest Lecturer

Yeah, I'm getting married in two weeks, but that's not news to anyone who would have any reason to read this (not to trivialize that momentous occasion, of course). The real news is that I delivered my first full-scale lecture today to a class of about 250 students, and I was a hit! Apparently I am good at lecturing because the students seemed to prefer me over the professor, and I was marauded with requests for tutoring and extra help. At least I now know that I am not likely to be a flop lecturer during my career as a professor.

Here's a scientist-engineer joke that I concocted based on a real-life experience as related by Jenn's dad:

Carl the chemist, Ed the engineer, and Phil the physicist are walking down the street when two cars collide at an intersection. One of the car spins out and comes hurtling towards the trio. Phil runs completely away from the car in the opposite direction, Carl jumps quickly to the side and then runs away, while Ed stands completely still and watches the car come to a screeching halt just inches from his feet. The trio is safe, and they recover from the excitement at a local bar later on, where they joke about each others' reactions. Ed says, "Boy Carl, you sure split when you saw that car coming." Carl defended himself and says, "Hey, I was afraid it would combust and burn me alive! I was just trying to save my skin, unlike you - you were so scared that you froze in your tracks like a deer in the headlights." "That's not it at all," said Ed, "I quickly calculated the trajectory of the car based on its velocity and the coefficient of friction from the pavement and correctly predicted that it would narrowly miss me by mere inches. So, I had no reason to move. I was calm and collected. But, Phil here! Man, he ran to outta there like a bolt of lightning!" "Gimmee a break guys!" says Phil in a rambunctious tizzy, " I'm the one that calculated the trajectory, not Ed, so I knew I was safe where I was, but then I thought about what chicken-shits you engineers are, and I ran away so you woldn't use me as a human shield!"

Okay, more physicist humor and factual accounts of Pete's life to come. Stay tuned!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home