05 April 2007

Fire & Ice?

I'm confused. The phoebes and the flickers have returned. The catkins on the red & silver maples are swelling and even opening, the red ones tinging the treetops with scarlet and the silver with a pinkish green. April is nearly a week old, yet I wake to this winter wonderland in my backyard, juxtaposed with a flock of robins searching desperately for worms. I suppose that the proverbial April showers say nothing as to whether they are rain or snow showers, but this is still the latest snow I have witnessed in all of my 27 winters that have successfully turned into springs. And what's more, snow is in the forecast for the next few days, each one breaking the record of the day before and forcing me to recast my notion of the New England seasons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home