16 January 2007

Ursus quabbinus

I hiked Gate 16 at Quabbin again with the hopes of finding a shed antler along some deer runs. Without snow, such meticulous tracking was proving futile, so I resolved to venture a mile southward to the pitch pine peninsula (see post from Nov. 19). I casually made my way along the road, stopping at the pine-laden sand bar to examine those curious trees, walking around the island, and finally stopping for a snack. I sat on the stony beach, took out my crackers and water, and proceeded to eat and drink at a leisurely pace. I even took out my binoculars and watched a bald eagle soaring in the snow flurry. Now, I don't usually loiter long on the shore at Quabbin since there is so much more to see behind the veil of trees, but today I decided to be uncharacteristic and settle down to a relaxing unrushed repast. I finished my crackers and water (I never do that) and made my way back to the sand bar and toward the road, even taking time to observe the interesting arrangement of pitch pine cones on their branches. Then, just as I was about to recommence my 1.5 mile walk to the parking area, something caught my eye. Across the cove and about fifty feet up a white pine, just behind the leafless shoreline birches, was a dark shape. Here's a transcription of my thoughts at the time: "Ooh, what's that? It must be a porcupine napping. (repositioning myself to get a better look) It's definitely sitting on a branch, whatever it is, and what's that? There's another dark shape on the other side of the tree - two porcupines? I've gotta get a picture of this! (turning camera on, moving over more, a dark circle with two rounds on top of it becomes apparent) That's not a porcupine!? Is that what it looks like...? Hmm, yep, pretty sure that's a bear. Those are bear ears. It's not moving though, maybe it's just a branch. Nope, it's definitely a bear. The middle of its body is behind the trunk, and its face is looking at me from the left. Yes, it's definitely watching my every move. Okay, time to go, go, go!" Needless to say, upon my final realization I decided not to linger any longer than necessary, so there is no picture, though I wish I had snapped at least one off, no matter how blurry my shaking hands would have made it. The MassWildlife stock photo above will have to suffice. Regardless of evidence, I have finally seen my first "wild" bear - wild meaning one that lives independent of bird feeders and landfills, seen by me on foot in the woods - and it was an overwhelmingly positive experience. No conflict, no surprises, no trouble - just two mammals in the woods keeping a respectable, though slightly uncomfortable, distance between us. I can only hope all my future bear encounters end this way.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nerdalie said...

You are a brave man. And don't they have the cutest little half-circle ears?

16 January, 2007 17:14  

Post a Comment

<< Home